Easy Vegetarian Pierogi Casserole
Prep Time: About 35 minutes
Servings: about 8-10 servings (reheats well as a leftover)
What’s awesome about casserole’s in general is they typically allow us to make a ton of food, in one big pan, am I right? Well, this recipe is a shout out to all the busy parents who don’t have time to pinch and fork 30 pierogie’s on a weekday night. So I bought some frozen pierogie’s and found this great brand, Peter & Pat’s Pierogie’s at Costco and they were UHmazing. (Costco now even delivers to your door!) They are the closest thing to making the real thing at home and I have tried MANY brands. (Now if you can’t find these in your grocer’s freezer there are many other brands you can use but I would avoid Mrs. T’s Pierogie’s they have a rubbery texture that tastes nothing like homemade in my opinion.) Also, I have to come clean, although I was brought up on Polish Kielbasa and meat was the largest part of our dinner plate I do not eat red meat anymore I gave it up for lent during my sophomore year in high school and have never looked back. I consider myself more of a flexitarian. Anyway, it seems to be the perfect balance to my diet. Enough about me, let’s get back to this awesome soul comforting casserole.
- 1 large white onion diced
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 12 oz of preferred vegan or sausage of choice
- 48 oz bag of frozen pierogie’s thawed out
- 16oz. Sauerkraut & carrot mix
- 7.5 oz package of sliced Colby Cheese (or 11 slices)
- 3 oz or 6 tablespoons of scallions
- ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese
- ¼ teaspoon of parsley
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and saute 1 cup of diced onions for a minute and then add thawed pierogies (half of the bag). Sautee pierogies on one side for 4 minutes and then flip for another 4 minutes or until both sides are golden.
(You will do this step twice unless you have two pans and can do it at the same time)
- While pierogies are sauteing take a 9”x13” pan, drizzle with olive oil and add 16 oz of sauerkraut/carrot mixture to the bottom of the pan and spread it out, (don’t worry about covering every inch of space you will need the space for the pierogie’s.)
- Next dice and saute your 12 oz of vegetarian sausage in a separate pan. I used Lightlife branded Smart Sausage (which btw was taste tested and approved by my husband who still eats red meat…he was amazed how good it tasted.)
4. Once the pierogie’s have sauteed you can then place them into the 9”x13” pan on top of the sauerkraut/carrot mix.
5. Next add half of your diced sausages,place 5-6 slice of colby jack cheese slice’s on top of the pierogie’s and 3 tablespoons of diced scallions. Repeat with another same layer same. Next top off off with ¼ teaspoon of parsely, and ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
6. Place into 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes and serve with sour cream, Enjoy!